Welcome To Historic, Friendly Littleton, Maine!
Littleton Maine, Well Run Small Northern Maine Community.
The population of Littleton Maine today is around 1068 folks. The town like most of Northern Maine started out as a land grant to a Southern New England school sold off to fund the education in Massachusetts. Littleton's north half belonged to Framingham Academy, the township's south half controlled by Williams College. The laying it all out on paper in Littleton started in 1800-1801 and development of this rich farming community began after that. The early settlers came to Littleton came to Aroostook County in search of good land. The elevation of the town is 472' and GPS coordinates latitude and longitude (46.23088,-67.84113).
A few farmers who have the best interest of the community at heart get the high marks in Littleton Maine. After the first Littleton Maine settler Thomas Osborne arrived on the scene in 1835, Lewis DeLaite followed suit in 1840. Then Samuel Adams, not the beer maker or President, along with Francis Waston and John Little according to history records. The trio created farms on the east side of the Meduxnekeag River. The settlement took root and grew in the Eastern section of Littleton first. It is in the area of the cover bridge in Watson Settlement in Littleton the town named in honor of Portland Maine's Josiah Little who was earlier proprietor for the sale of the lands that needed disbursement and settlement in the vast unpopulated areas of Northern Maine. Fertile farm soil that is well drained, the availability of water power with the Meduxnekeag River and Big Brook, gravel deposits the glacier was kind enough to leave behind in esker horsebacks ridges along with healthy heart mixed wooded land all made Littleton Maine a blue ribbon location for land.