Welcome To Historic, Friendly Monticello, Maine!
Monticello Maine, You Remember Crossing The Medexnekeag River There Right?
The town of Monticello Maine in Aroostook County. We've spotlighted Monticello Maine before but more information can't hurt right? Settled first in 1830, incorporated on July 29th, 1846, the town was owned by General Joel Wellington of Albion. He thought Wellington Plantation had a nice ring to it but in honor of President Thomas Jefferson's estate home, the signs announcing your town arrival were re-labeled Monticello.
The North branch of the Meduxnekeag River winds through Monticello and like most early Maine rural settlements, water for mill power, for industry and home living meant let's set up shop around usually a river. Potato farms, woods operations are two primary commercial enterprises in Monticello.
The Monticello Grange Hall #338 two story smasher built in 1922 after a fire destroyed the original historic structure the year before had a hard winter and is coming down. This Grange hall like the organization played a big role in the local day to day. Everything from school plays, musical shows, even graduation happened at this community center.
In 1974 a stage was added to the Wellington School to replace the only other one at the Grange. MOOERS REALTY sold the Wellington School after RSU 29 consolidation forced its closure. It is now a private school and still providing an educational outlet.
Monticello has a nice little league ball diamond behind the town office.
The Monticello Maine Parks And Recreation Department does a good job creating programs to help the youth learn valuable life lessons.
There is a volunteer fire department in Monticello Maine. Check out the Friday night beano games! Edlerly housing is available in town up behind Cherry Hill and near the town garage. This community offers safe, friendly living options. The local population is helpful, friendly, home town proud of this Aroostook County town. Learn more about Northern Maine.
A commercial FM radio station broadcasts from out on the Britton Road and a new short wave radio complex is being constructed at the time of this blog post typing.
Imagine 500 KW and one giant antenna array system like no other in North America. Owned by Allan Weiner, a long time local broadcast enthusiast who attended Ricker College in Houlton Maine and decide to hang around for nearly fifity plus years.